The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) has partnered with Talkshop, the leading provider of communication and leadership workshops in the Philippines, to provide training for its world skills experts and competitors.
The training program focuses on goal setting, time management, negotiation skills, and personal effectiveness, which are essential skills that can help TESDA’s experts and competitors perform well in international competitions and contribute to the development of the country’s skilled workforce.
The partnership with Talkshop is part of TESDA’s efforts to provide their experts and competitors with top-notch training that can help them excel in their respective fields.
Talkshop founder and CEO Sheila Viesca welcomed the partnership with TESDA and expressed her commitment to providing quality training that can help TESDA’s experts and competitors reach their full potential.
“We are honored to collaborate with TESDA in helping with the preparation of the country’s world skills experts and competitors. Our training programs are designed to help individuals improve their communication and leadership skills, which are essential in achieving personal and professional success,” said Viesca.
The TESDA World Skills Competition is a skills-based competition organized by the Technical Education and Skills
Development Authority (TESDA) in the Philippines. It is a biennial event that promotes the development of skills and competencies of Filipinos from various fields, including but not limited to, automotive technology, cooking, electronics, fashion and hairdressing, graphic design, information technology, construction, and welding. The competition gathers technical and vocational students from different regions in the country, allowing them to showcase their abilities and knowledge in their chosen fields. Winners of the national competition have the opportunity to represent the Philippines in the biennial World Skills Competition, where they compete with experts from countries around the world.
The partnership between TESDA and Talkshop is expected to benefit the country in the long run by empowering skilled workers and producing more who can contribute to the growth and development of the economy.
Goal setting is an essential process that helps individuals work towards achieving milestones in their personal and professional lives. Setting short and long-term goals can help people focus their efforts, measure progress, and ultimately increase satisfaction and success.
Dr. Viesca states, “Goal setting can be difficult for a number of reasons. Some possible reasons include a lack of clarity or vision, unrealistic expectations, lack of commitment, and insufficient skills or resources. This is why we make sure that TalkShop programs help individuals and leaders become more effective at goal setting by providing them with tools and strategies to overcome these challenges. For example, TalkShop programs can provide guidance on how to identify and articulate clear and achievable goals, develop a plan to achieve those goals, and stay motivated and committed throughout the process. Additionally, our programs can help individuals and leaders build the skills and resources they need to achieve their goals, such as effective time management, communication, and problem-solving techniques”
GOAL SETTING STRATEGIES
- Set specific and measurable goals: Define clearly what you want to achieve, and make sure to quantify it in a way that can be measured, tracked, and evaluated.
- Break down your goals: Identify what needs to be done to achieve your goals, and break them down into smaller, more manageable tasks.
- Set realistic deadlines: Give yourself a deadline for achieving your goals and breaking them down into manageable tasks.
- Stay motivated: Find ways to stay motivated throughout the process, such as rewarding yourself for progress.
- Have a plan: When you have a solid plan in place, you can achieve even the most ambitious goals. Break down your goals into smaller, more manageable steps and develop a schedule to keep you organized.
- Be accountable: Share your goals with someone who can hold you accountable for achieving them. Having someone to report to can motivate you to stay focused and on track.
- Monitor your progress: Track your progress regularly and modify your approach as needed.
- Create a supportive environment: Surround yourself with people who support your goals and who can provide guidance and encouragement.
- Learn from setbacks: Expect setbacks, and use them as opportunities to learn and improve your approach to achieving goals.
- Celebrate milestones and successes: Celebrate small wins along the way to reaching your bigger goals. Taking note of your achievements can encourage you to keep pushing forward towards your bigger goals.
Time management is crucial to achieving success in both personal and professional life. It helps us to utilize our time effectively and efficiently, which leads to increased productivity and better outcomes.
Dr. Viesca clarifies that, “time management can be complicated because people often have many tasks, obligations, and distractions competing for their attention and limited time. Additionally, different tasks require different amounts of time and effort, and some tasks may be more urgent or important than others. We make it a point to design programs that help individuals and leaders become more effective at time management by providing them with strategies and tools to prioritize tasks, minimize distractions, and allocate time more efficiently. For example, TalkShop programs activities using techniques like the Eisenhower Matrix to help individuals distinguish urgent and important tasks and prioritize accordingly. Attendees are also provided with guidance on goal-setting, delegation, and effective communication to help them manage their time more effectively while also empowering their team members to do the same.”
She adds, “TalkShop programs often incorporate self-awareness and mindfulness techniques that can help individuals better understand their own patterns of behavior and time usage, and identify areas for improvement. With these tools, they can learn to optimize their time by focusing their energy on high-priority tasks and avoiding distractions. Overall, TalkShop programs can be an invaluable resource for anyone looking to enhance their time management skills and boost their productivity.”
TIME MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES
- Plan ahead: Spend a few minutes at the end of each day to plan for the next day. This will help to prioritize tasks and allow you to focus on the most important ones.
- Set goals: Set long-term and short-term goals to give direction to your daily tasks. This will help to keep you motivated and focused on the bigger picture.
- Make a to-do list: Make a list of tasks that need to be completed and prioritize them according to their importance. It will help to avoid procrastination, and you can cross off completed tasks, which will give a sense of accomplishment.
- Use the 80/20 rule: Focus on the 20% of tasks that produce 80% of the results.
- Minimize distractions: Eliminate or minimize distractions such as phone calls, emails, or social media notifications when working on important tasks.
- Focus on one task at a time: Multitasking can decrease productivity and increase stress. Focus on one task at a time and complete it before moving on to the next one.
- Take breaks: Take short breaks throughout the day to refresh your mind and avoid burnout.
- Set deadlines: Give yourself a deadline to complete each task to stay focused and motivated.
- Delegate: Assign tasks to others to free up your time for more important tasks.
- Use technology: Use apps, tools, and software to help manage your time more efficiently.
- Prioritize self-care: Make time for exercise, sleep, and hobbies to stay healthy and maintain balance.
- Say no: Learn to say no to tasks that don’t align with your priorities or goals.
- Learn to be flexible: Be open to changing plans and adapting to unforeseen circumstances.
Negotiation skills are important as they can help you achieve your goals, build relationships, and resolve conflicts.
Dr. Viesca says, “Negotiation skills can lead to unfavorable outcomes when individuals lack the ability to manage the negotiation process effectively. This can include poor preparation, weak communication skills, a failure to understand the interests and needs of the other party, inflexibility, and an inability to reach a mutually beneficial agreement.”
She adds, “TalkShop programs can help individuals and leaders become more effective negotiators by providing them with the necessary skills and strategies to approach negotiations in a more productive way. This can include learning how to prepare effectively for negotiations, developing stronger communication and listening skills, understanding the needs and priorities of the other party, and developing a more flexible and collaborative mindset. We have made it a point to teach individuals how to manage the different stages of the negotiation process, including opening, questioning, proposing, bargaining, and closing. By mastering these skills, individuals can improve their ability to negotiate more effectively, build stronger relationships with others, and achieve more favorable outcomes.”
- Understand the situation and the other person’s perspective – Listening to the other person’s needs and objectives can help you identify common ground and potential areas for compromise.
- Prepare and set clear objectives – Before entering negotiations, define your goals and consider potential strategies and outcomes. This can help to avoid making impulsive decisions.
- Be confident and assertive – Be confident in your abilities and convey a positive attitude during negotiations. Avoid bluffing or hiding information while being assertive.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses: Understanding your strengths and weaknesses is key to honing your negotiation skills. You can take courses, read books, and attend seminars, and identify where you need to improve.
- Practice role-playing: Role-playing with a friend or a colleague can help you practice your negotiation skills. It will allow you to step out of your comfort zone and work on your communication and persuasion skills.
- Stay focused on mutual benefits – Avoid aggressive or confrontational tactics during negotiations. Instead, stay focused on seeking mutual benefits and reaching a win-win agreement.
- Evaluate the result – Evaluate the outcome of the negotiation and reflect on what went well and what could have been better to improve your negotiations skills for future occasions.
- Use data to support your argument: Using data to back up your argument can give you a more persuasive edge in negotiation. Research and find relevant data that supports your argument, and present it in a concise and compelling way.
- Learn to compromise: Compromise is a crucial tool in negotiation. You need to be flexible and open-minded to accommodate the other person’s needs and interests.
- Seek feedback: Feedback is critical in improving your negotiation skills. Request feedback from a mentor, coach, or colleague after each negotiation to identify areas for improvement.
- Attend workshops and training sessions: Participating in workshops and training sessions can provide you with new insights, techniques, and strategies to improve your negotiation skills.
Personal effectiveness is the ability to manage oneself in the best possible way to achieve one’s goals and objectives more efficiently. It includes personal productivity, time management, goal setting, and self-awareness.
Dr. Viesca shares that, “personal effectiveness can be complex to achieve because it is a multifaceted concept that involves a range of factors such as time management, goal-setting, problem-solving, communication skills, resilience, leadership skills, emotional intelligence, and more. Each of these factors requires a set of skills and habits to be developed and practiced consistently to achieve overall personal effectiveness goals. For over two decades now, TalkShop has been dedicated to offering customized training and coaching programs that address the specific needs and challenges of each person. The training sessions are designed to provide practical tools and techniques that can be applied immediately to improve productivity, communication, leadership, and personal effectiveness.”
She elaborates, “For example, TalkShop’s time management training can help individuals and leaders identify priorities, set goals, and develop strategies to optimize their time and increase productivity. The problem-solving training program can help individuals and leaders learn how to think creatively and apply critical thinking skills to overcome obstacles and challenges. The communication skills training program can help individuals and leaders improve their ability to communicate effectively, active listening, negotiation, and conflict resolution.”
PERSONAL EFFECTIVENESS STRATEGIES
- Goal Setting: Set specific and achievable goals, whether short or long-term, that align with your vision and values. This helps you focus on what’s important and increases your motivation to accomplish them.
- Time Management: Use your time wisely and prioritize tasks according to their importance and urgency, making sure to schedule some time for self-care and relaxation.
- Mindfulness and self-awareness: Take a few moments each day to reflect on your emotions, thoughts, and behaviors while consciously striving to remain present and focused.
- Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships by networking, maintaining open communication, and being receptive to feedback.
- Positive Thinking: Cultivate a positive mental attitude towards yourself and others, focusing on your strengths and making positive affirmations to stay motivated.
- Take care of your physical health: Exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet, and set aside time for healthy habits like getting enough sleep. A healthy body and mind can lead to increased productivity, energy, and effectiveness.
- Build resilience and manage stress levels.
- Practice effective communication skills.
- Set boundaries and manage expectations to avoid burnout.
- Cultivate a growth mindset to embrace challenges and learn from failures.
TalkShop, continues to design comprehensive training and education programs for relevant industry skills such as public speaking, presentation skills, interpersonal communication, business writing, leadership, and customer service skills. Programs for language proficiency, such as business presentation, technical writing, and cross-cultural communication are also being offered. All TalkShop training programs can be tailored to the specific needs of individuals and organizations.
Dr. Viesca concludes, “It is imperative that individuals and businesses work towards enhancing these skills in order to thrive in today’s highly competitive and dynamic business environment. By utilizing goal setting, time management, and negotiation skills individuals can effectively manage their time, negotiate deals, and work towards achieving their goals, ultimately leading to personal and professional success. It is also important to continuously develop and update these skills, as they are crucial in adapting to changing business landscapes and remaining competitive in the global market.”
“We gladly welcome this partnership this TESDA to help the country’s world skills experts and competitors to have the skills, knowledge, and mindset needed to perform at a high levels, achieve their goals, and earn the gold for the Philippines. With the targeted coaching in communication and leadership, we are confident that the country’s experts and competitors who will be representing us in upcoming international competitions will be equipped with the necessary skills to succeed and contribute to the development of our skilled workforce,” said Viesca.